Pages

Monday, June 11, 2012

It wasn't enough

This past little while, I discovered that deciding to run when I could was not enough. I would find myself making excuses not to go, such as being too tired, too lazy, it was too hot outside, etc. I have been trying to keep up with my new treatment plan, which has been a challenge, and I wouldn't be sure which days to run or when to lift weights at the gym so that I can stay strong and run. So then I decided I needed a new plan--a new routine so I would know when and what my workout plan would be: go to the gym and lift weights for one hour one morning, run at least 2.5- 3 miles the next (or run the first morning and then weights the next), as long as I would have an hour of weights and at least 30 minutes of cardio every morning except Sunday--my day of rest :) It was set, so I began.

It's been rough. I didn't realize how out of shape I was for not having a routine. I have started using not only the weight machines, but free weights, been learning new pilates moves to get ready for my goal of building a six-pack in case I need to get my stomach scar tissue removed (I think that if my abdominals are stronger, then it will heal faster after surgery.) It is a little scary to think about because I hate surgeries and I'm not sure what's going to happen, but I want to be as prepared as possible in case it needs to be done. Then there's running...finding good routes around this college town has been a challenge itself with hardly any hills, busy traffic, and much more. But it's getting there.

It's been hard, especially the first week. I would be sore every day and craving a nap in the afternoon, but I would have more energy throughout each day. On Saturday, instead of running or lifting weights, I was planning on going up with some friends to hike the Y. When I woke up that morning, everything from that week kicked in. I felt like I got hit by a bus. I could hardly move anything...everything from my neck to my shoulders, back of my arms, biceps, my back, my abs hurt when I laughed or coughed (which even hurt my ribs), my inner thighs killed, along with my hamstrings, calves...all the way down to my ankles. Yep. For all I know I may have been hit by a bus. And what's more? I felt crazy for wanting to go on a steep hike. However, I started feeling addicted to the exercise. I knew it was going to help me, and I could wanted more. The hike was shorter than most, but it was steep. At times I felt like I was going to die, but reaching the top felt incredible.






So here I am, still sometimes detesting turning off my alarm between 6:30 and 6:45 AM, but the feeling after each workout rocks. Hopefully the next PFTS blows the Pulmonologists away (no pun intended). :)


No comments:

Post a Comment