Pages

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Stay Strong

I don't even know how to begin this post.

Yes, today has been a start of a great day for my family in San Fran, but that post will be put on hold because this deserves much more attention...

The devastating news came this morning that sweet Millie Flamm passed away.
I was shocked. I almost cried when I found out, but I believe it will come later as soon as I get home and it hits.

She was one of the strongest people I've known.
Vague memories take up some of my long lost, never-want-to-be-remembered childhood occurences of being in the hospital. That is, for weeks. For months. Again and again for years. Being away from family at times, coming up with crafts and watching endless Disney Movies, trying to smile amongst the pain of 7+ surgeries, of which I still have the scars that take my whole stomach. Not sure what was going to happen, but staying strong.

Millie, however, fought so much harder in these 3 1/2 years than I will ever in my lifetime. At this point, I am wondering how such a menacing, deviating condition can exist--cancer.
I'm still not sure why it has to exist. Many may wonder why God would ever give this to some of his precious children.
That exact answer, to be honest, I don't know. I'm still pondering about it. However, I do know that from my experiences, I have drawn closer to my Savior more than I ever would have. Our Savior, after all, offered himself to feel every sin, sorrow, and pain for each of us. If he could have done it just for you, he would have.
I also know that these children and patients have been some of the strongest to live.
Millie, for instance, has increased my strength and perseverance. Even in my early adult years, just the thought of "this is painful at the moment," would be silenced by thinking how courageous and strong Millie (and Tyler) were.
 They weren't afraid to be themselves. I've seen pictures and videos of Millie in the hospital still being silly and looking for fun. She persevered with a smile on her face for as long as she could. Tyler also impacted my life and showed an even greater value of having good friends and family around while reaching out to others despite life's hardships.
Their experiences have influenced thousands (including Justin Bieber--you can read that post on here of how he came to visit Millie.) I'm only one of those thousands whom they have influenced.
Their families fought hard as well. They have given the best support for their daughter and son and each other, as well as having received help and strength from others.
Millie fought Leukemia twice until age 7, and Tyler until 17 (almost 18), but they now live freely without pain.
So, if you are reading this, let's take a moment and remember Millie's example and how she spread joy.
To all my "Cysters" or "Fibros" or anyone else who may need an extra push or encouragement, let's remember how hard she fought, and how she stayed strong amongst life's greatest challenges.
Both her and Tyler left a legacy.
Let's remember and live it.


Just seeing this made me picture Ty giving her the biggest hug for everything she went through as soon as they both met up in Paradise. I'm sure he's been her guardian for a while and now they can help and encourage others who are still fighting.


No comments:

Post a Comment