Pages

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Shaping up: How one Cyster Got Fit

I received an email with this article of a Cyster who has understood the importance of staying healthy, so here it is! It's a great one! :)


http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=hv4om8iab&v=001vv2TPD5jwtiA7J_rp9TFW3F6z5pBZ0OfvEnAHzn6lf08oZ7W1pb_AVO-76RJxgCRMTPwatRG_DwNJKETw1GU5K-LzUuZ2ccisdIZzm4p_Rex1dTjfGET5Z5q9UMnGV51







Shaping Up: How One Cyster Got Fit
By Jessica Muir
  
From soccer to softball, I have been active in sports since I was a child. It carried over into high school with the addition of running track. I wanted to challenge myself and prove that someone with a lung disease could run track with everyone else. I never thought about how much exercise was doing for me.

During college, exercise was done at a minimum while I studied for my Nursing degree. Being a Nurse and running around for 10-12 hour shifts felt like sufficient exercise, hence my lacking in the area during this time.

After graduating, and getting married, my husband and I were talking about starting a family. We consulted all of the appropriate physicians to make sure it was safe. During these appointments there was a common thread with each doctor, despite their different specialties. Each one of them had said I was healthy enough, but that I had to "be in the absolute best health of your life going into this."

I thought to myself, how much more could I do? I do all of my treatments, go to all of my appointments and, overall, thought I took great care of myself. Then it dawned on me. What hadn't I been doing for quite some time that I already KNEW did wonders? Exercise!

It was at that moment I realized what I had to do. Run. I was immediately inspired and began running that afternoon. I hadn't even figured out what my goals were, but I knew I had to start immediately! After not "pounding the pavement" for almost a decade, I ran a mile non-stop. To say it felt amazing would be an understatement.

From that point on, I knew that this was my passion. This was something I used to love and I never realized how it had benefited me. It kept my lungs feeling great and kept me out of the hospital.

It became a challenge. I wanted to see just how hard I could push myself. Running has done incredible things for me both mentally and physically. The feeling of accomplishment every single time I step off that treadmill cannot be put into words. I set new goals for myself constantly; entering several 5K races each year. My ultimate goal: running a ½ marathon. 

Running has allowed my lung function to steadily increase over the last few years, as I have found this to be the best form of chest physiotherapy. I purchased a personal PFT meter and have tracked my numbers for years. The documented increase in lung capacity motivates me. Running has allowed me to challenge myself daily, push the limits, and continue to fight the good fight.

Many times when I'm running I remind myself that I'm not just running for me. I'm running for all of us with CF. I'm running for those that CF took too soon. I'm running for those who aren't able to. I run because it strengthens me physically and mentally in the fight against this disease. I run because I can and I am thankful for that beyond words. I will never ever take that for granted.

About Jessica
  
 


My name is Jessica Muir and I am 31 years old living with Cystic Fibrosis
. I was diagnosed at the age of 5 months old with the most common mutation of DDF508. I've been married since 2004 to my wonderfuly supportive husband, Scott. I graduated college in 2002 with a degree in Nursing and currently work full time as a Gastroenterology (GI) RN. I Iove being outdoors and active in any way, cooking, entertaining, hiking, music, and have a passion for running.  

No comments:

Post a Comment