Pages

Saturday, January 26, 2013

A few happenings

A few recent updates:

First of all, I came down with a week long flu. It started out with me eating so much, which I have discovered is often one of the first signs of me getting sick because my body seems to want to pack in as many nutrients and calories as possible. Before I knew it, it took a lot of energy to do everything--whether it was walking to another class or even sitting at my desk at work. It was very hard for me to breathe and gunk joined up in my lungs, which made me even wonder if a hospital tune-up was coming soon, so I called my doc. Surprisingly, with everything I had been eating, I lost weight, and my PFTs had gone up. I sure must had been fighting for a few days to be burning calories and have my lungs working hard just from breathing. My nurse suggested they do a flu test, which came out positive. All in all, my flu could have been worst since I had a flu shot a few months ago, so lesson to you all, get your flu shot even if you don't think you will need it!!


(And thank goodness the flu only lasted a week because I got to see my lovely friend Kate before she heads off to Hong Kong.)


When I was sick I was placed on an antibiotic called Minocycline to protect my lungs. Let me tell you though, (here is another lesson learned) it's important to listen to your body in every way. The day after I started it, I felt very dizzy and couldn't walk straight. It always kicked in a couple of hours after I took the tiny pill and I would joke about how I felt like a drunk woman. I even had the Jack Sparrow swagger wherever I went. A couple of days later, the side effects worsened a little, but I put them aside, ignoring them. I couldn't concentrate on my school work. I found myself confused at whatever people would say as I couldn't comprehend things easily. In sewing one day, all the symptoms reached their peak. I couldn't sew a straight line, threading the machine made me nauseous, and I couldn't understand the simplest instructions. My eyes would burn as they looked blood shot. Before I knew it, (and I can't exactly remember everything or why things were happening), I started crying and ended up in the sewing closet, hardly able to breathe or talk as there was sensation of a hand was clasped around my throat. I remember wanting to call my doctor, but there was no service and I was about to fall over while in an emotional wreck. I don't remember all the details, especially since having an emotional meltdown in a sewing closet was very unlike me!! But luckily I was able to leave the room, feeling the strong presence of angels and having very specific promptings telling me step by step what to do (i.e. You need to drink water, you need to walk up these stairs and get to the cafeteria to get some food, you need to call your nurse Jenn and tell her such and such, etc--later that day, I also realized it was my best friend who passed away a while ago-Shanna's-21st birthday, and knew she was there helping out, on her very own birthday). So there I was, feeling so weak, lost and confused, with mascara running down my cheeks, walking late to work where I could sit down and make the phone call (in slurred, confused speech) to say I was quitting that antibiotic.

So long story short, if you have side effects from any med that are not usual or if you body is ever giving negative signals, listen before it's too late!

The day after I quit it, I felt so good and was grateful to be able to understand people around me, to learn and comprehend, to breathe, and to be in tune with the world. It felt incredible. I was able to enjoy some good times with those around me now that I was officially no longer sick or drugged out.

First of all, I was glad to feel well again at work. Here are some pictures of my super tall new co-worker and I. I believe this is why he plays football for BYU.



That night my roommies and I went out to eat for M-Dawg's birthday. She chose a place we had never been to called Studio 22 to try out. After waiting for our food for a while while we were starving, we got our food--burgers on homemade buns, fries, and chicken and waffles!! I was afraid to try them, because who in their right mind would ever put fried chicken on waffles topped with bacon, sage, and brown sugar syrup? But let me tell you, they were divine. They were indescribable. They were incredible.

The week ended with having fun with my roommates, bowling (which I desperately need to practice), and double decker Blue Bell ice cream.


Whattuh week!!! Well, I now hear people in my living room having a jam sesh with guitars and ukeleles, so I better go join. More will come later.

No comments:

Post a Comment