Ladies and Gents,
I'm back
From the MBM. (the Massachusetts Boston Mission, since many ask)
(In fact I've been back for almost a month now. Shhh I'm trying to get back into this blogging business.)
There really was no better way to spend this last year and a half
Including almost the entire wajoopin' 2014.
There really was no better way to spend this last year and a half
Including almost the entire wajoopin' 2014.
Okay... many still ask me how my mission was
But pretty much all I can say, as any returned missionary would say, "It was great."
Because honestly it was the best year and a half of my life.
There are no words that serve justice to describe it.
For any of you considering to serve a mission, pray like none other to figure out if it's what's best for you. Heavenly Father will give you your answer.
Because honestly it was the best year and a half of my life.
There are no words that serve justice to describe it.
For any of you considering to serve a mission, pray like none other to figure out if it's what's best for you. Heavenly Father will give you your answer.
You'll have to excuse me over the next while
Because you're dealing with an awkward-as-a-jellybean-kinda-gal
Still in post-missionary lingo
Post missionary lingo: a term I made up that any returned missionary would understand. Feeling in a daze, awkward at times, trunky for the mission, still transitioning, unsure of what's going on…
Mr. Urkel here shows how it is pretty accurately:
As for coming home, I'll be a little frank here:
It was rough.
But it also has its sweetness to it. :)
And although in my own sub-consciousness I know I'm not the only one…sometimes I've wondered if my experiences have been so unique and don't usually happen when they arrive home. I'll give you an idea:
-New area. New ward. (My family moved while I was away.)
-My mom was engaged. Now, don't get me wrong--I have been extremely happy for her! She's waited a long time for this and deserves it in every way! It's just a different experience when she's usually at work or otherwise with someone knew I've never met before! But he isgreat. Wonderful. An extraordinary guy who is honest, true, faithful, and so good to her.
-My brother is on his mission since he left when I was gone. I am finally getting used to it, but it was a different feeling somehow expecting him to walk through the front door at any given moment, but then to remember he's still down in Georgia. He is doing great things!
-When I was unpacking my medical supplies for my treatment that first night, I came to realize, in horror, I left my treatment machine cord in Massachusetts. But then Brandon SAVED THE DAY. He MUST have been following the spirit guiding him without him realizing it. He unplugged our computer monitor cord and stuck it in the back of the machine. IT FIT. I spoke with my mission president's wife back in MA to request for everyone to look for it, but it was long gone. Hence I made do by switching the computer cord back and forth from the computer to the vest! I was able to order a new one a little over a week later.
-After being released, my family went their own ways--sister went back to in-laws', dad back to his place, and mom out with Randy for the night. Home alone with my lil (big) bro. I'll just say I'm glad that night is over. I may have bawled harder than I have in a while since the anxiety, emotional stress, the changes in life…everything hit. I would never advise any returned missionary to be practically home alone their first night!!
-When I'm at home, my mom and brother are usually at work for a good chunk of the day. (We don't live to far from our dad, but it is a little bit further.)
-I was also no longer on health insurance, since I moved states and had to re-apply. That. was. terrifying.
-With that in mind, about a week after I got home, the unplanned for happened. A cold hit. Hard. More specifically, it hit my lungs harder than I remember it has within the last few years. I won't go into too much detail, but my voice died out, sore throat began, and I won't forget the treatment one night where it hurt so badly to cough and I ended up coughing much more than I remembered. My mucus production increased from what must be my average 1/4 tsp per day to 1-2 TBSP per day. Soon enough I went in to see my doctor, deeply considering a clean out. I was placed on an oral antibiotic and slowly began to recover. Thankfully my health insurance got approved that day. On the day I was told to call to determine if a tune up was needed, I found I was doing better so we decided against it. I am still recovering and the sputum still doesn't taste that great, but it is a wonderful feeling to be able to be up and exercising again, to be up and breathing again, taking life in!
It was a close call. Almost in the hospital the week of Christmas. I am so thankful that I was able to stay home!!
With just returning, it must be natural to be desperate to serve. But it becomes more difficult with being in a new area hardly knowing anybody around here, so sometimes I don't even know where to begin...
Although it's been a little tough in some ways, there have definitely been some perks:
-About 8 months ago, Alicia (my sister) had her first child. I had seen pictures of this boy Connor every week--literally about 20-30 at time. I was thrilled to finally be able to meet him! I never thought I would a baby full of so much wonder and curiosity, joy, and love for life. Not being able to hold babies or be so close to small children (for liability reasons) was one of the hardest things about being out, yet it is now so rewarding! I also used to be terrifyingly awkward around kids (near zilch experience around them--hardly ever was asked to babysit, didn't have nieces or nephews with the exception of having cousins come form out of town every now and then). However and thankfully, with being in family wards and always around kids while on a mission, they come to love you and you come to love them and know how to act around them!

My other brother, Brandon, is preparing to serve his mission and will soon submit his papers. Although he is usually at work or sleeping in, I have been able to spend some good time with him. One realization that's come is he is practically my music TWIN. I mean, I went onto his iTunes just the other day to lo and behold over 600 albums…all ranging from a variety of artists such as a few of my favorites including the Beatles, Coldplay, Imagine Dragons, then 60s, 70s, and 80s classics, Brad Paisley, Sara Bareilles, and new artists who I never knew of (that's what happens when you're out on a mission) such as the Mowglis, Echosmith, Hozier…it's unbelievable. He is a pretty quiet kid so sometimes you just don't know what's going inside his head or what his interests are. This picture may give you a good idea of how I've been looking (picture me the redhead and Brandon right there)
So, as you see, with being back it sometimes feel like a roller coaster. Here's another way of showing how it is. I'm sure any RM would understand how somedays home feel like "the best day ever!" and others…well, you get the point. :)
There's many more perks, including the blessings my family has seen with Josh still out in Georgia, and to ponder and put use the ways in which have caused me to be changed forever. With all this, with being home, I still terribly miss the Massachusetts Boston Mission, but am thankful for all that I have taken home with me--the friendships, the lessons learned, skills earned, and my grown love for the restored gospel of Jesus Christ in its fullness, and for His great infinite Atonement-- infinite in terms of reach as it contains so much to continue to comprehend, and infinite as He Himself is our Infinite Savior who saved us as long as we turn to Him.
My life will never be the same from the experiences I had that have enriched my life for eternity.
But with all of this, I will always be a disciple of Jesus Christ, as He has "spiritually begotten (me) that (my) heart is changed through faith on His name." (see Mosiah chapter 5:7 in the Book of Mormon.)
Serving a mission helped me understand how to be a better disciple of Him
How to serve Him.
After all, the missionaries are only the teachers. We do the outreach to bring others closer to Him.
I know that as we align our will to our Heavenly Father's and follow it, miracles will open up for each of us. :)
Even though the missionaries wear His name on a badge, we can wear His name on our hearts and can show it. And He is right there beside us through His angels, power, majesty and influence.
So once again, I'm in the process of getting back in the swing of things.
including blogging…
More later peeps
and
GO ZION!
Still in post-missionary lingo
Post missionary lingo: a term I made up that any returned missionary would understand. Feeling in a daze, awkward at times, trunky for the mission, still transitioning, unsure of what's going on…
Mr. Urkel here shows how it is pretty accurately:
As for coming home, I'll be a little frank here:
It was rough.
But it also has its sweetness to it. :)
And although in my own sub-consciousness I know I'm not the only one…sometimes I've wondered if my experiences have been so unique and don't usually happen when they arrive home. I'll give you an idea:
-New area. New ward. (My family moved while I was away.)
-My mom was engaged. Now, don't get me wrong--I have been extremely happy for her! She's waited a long time for this and deserves it in every way! It's just a different experience when she's usually at work or otherwise with someone knew I've never met before! But he is
-My brother is on his mission since he left when I was gone. I am finally getting used to it, but it was a different feeling somehow expecting him to walk through the front door at any given moment, but then to remember he's still down in Georgia. He is doing great things!
![]() |
| He and one of his former companions. |
![]() |
| A recent baptism for someone he helped teach |
-When I was unpacking my medical supplies for my treatment that first night, I came to realize, in horror, I left my treatment machine cord in Massachusetts. But then Brandon SAVED THE DAY. He MUST have been following the spirit guiding him without him realizing it. He unplugged our computer monitor cord and stuck it in the back of the machine. IT FIT. I spoke with my mission president's wife back in MA to request for everyone to look for it, but it was long gone. Hence I made do by switching the computer cord back and forth from the computer to the vest! I was able to order a new one a little over a week later.
-After being released, my family went their own ways--sister went back to in-laws', dad back to his place, and mom out with Randy for the night. Home alone with my lil (big) bro. I'll just say I'm glad that night is over. I may have bawled harder than I have in a while since the anxiety, emotional stress, the changes in life…everything hit. I would never advise any returned missionary to be practically home alone their first night!!
-When I'm at home, my mom and brother are usually at work for a good chunk of the day. (We don't live to far from our dad, but it is a little bit further.)
-I was also no longer on health insurance, since I moved states and had to re-apply. That. was. terrifying.
-With that in mind, about a week after I got home, the unplanned for happened. A cold hit. Hard. More specifically, it hit my lungs harder than I remember it has within the last few years. I won't go into too much detail, but my voice died out, sore throat began, and I won't forget the treatment one night where it hurt so badly to cough and I ended up coughing much more than I remembered. My mucus production increased from what must be my average 1/4 tsp per day to 1-2 TBSP per day. Soon enough I went in to see my doctor, deeply considering a clean out. I was placed on an oral antibiotic and slowly began to recover. Thankfully my health insurance got approved that day. On the day I was told to call to determine if a tune up was needed, I found I was doing better so we decided against it. I am still recovering and the sputum still doesn't taste that great, but it is a wonderful feeling to be able to be up and exercising again, to be up and breathing again, taking life in!
It was a close call. Almost in the hospital the week of Christmas. I am so thankful that I was able to stay home!!
With just returning, it must be natural to be desperate to serve. But it becomes more difficult with being in a new area hardly knowing anybody around here, so sometimes I don't even know where to begin...
![]() |
| Russell: "Good afternoon. Are you in need of assistance today?" Carl: "No." Russell: "I could help you cross your street." Carl: "No." |
-About 8 months ago, Alicia (my sister) had her first child. I had seen pictures of this boy Connor every week--literally about 20-30 at time. I was thrilled to finally be able to meet him! I never thought I would a baby full of so much wonder and curiosity, joy, and love for life. Not being able to hold babies or be so close to small children (for liability reasons) was one of the hardest things about being out, yet it is now so rewarding! I also used to be terrifyingly awkward around kids (near zilch experience around them--hardly ever was asked to babysit, didn't have nieces or nephews with the exception of having cousins come form out of town every now and then). However and thankfully, with being in family wards and always around kids while on a mission, they come to love you and you come to love them and know how to act around them!
| How he sometimes looks at me, still trying to figure out who I am! |

![]() |
| He loved Grandma's toy to him on Christmas. |
So, as you see, with being back it sometimes feel like a roller coaster. Here's another way of showing how it is. I'm sure any RM would understand how somedays home feel like "the best day ever!" and others…well, you get the point. :)
There's many more perks, including the blessings my family has seen with Josh still out in Georgia, and to ponder and put use the ways in which have caused me to be changed forever. With all this, with being home, I still terribly miss the Massachusetts Boston Mission, but am thankful for all that I have taken home with me--the friendships, the lessons learned, skills earned, and my grown love for the restored gospel of Jesus Christ in its fullness, and for His great infinite Atonement-- infinite in terms of reach as it contains so much to continue to comprehend, and infinite as He Himself is our Infinite Savior who saved us as long as we turn to Him.
My life will never be the same from the experiences I had that have enriched my life for eternity.
But with all of this, I will always be a disciple of Jesus Christ, as He has "spiritually begotten (me) that (my) heart is changed through faith on His name." (see Mosiah chapter 5:7 in the Book of Mormon.)
Serving a mission helped me understand how to be a better disciple of Him
How to serve Him.
After all, the missionaries are only the teachers. We do the outreach to bring others closer to Him.
I know that as we align our will to our Heavenly Father's and follow it, miracles will open up for each of us. :)
Even though the missionaries wear His name on a badge, we can wear His name on our hearts and can show it. And He is right there beside us through His angels, power, majesty and influence.
So once again, I'm in the process of getting back in the swing of things.
including blogging…
More later peeps
and
GO ZION!
![]() |
| Last sight of Boston from the plane |










No comments:
Post a Comment