Pages

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Double 'Double U' Firsts: Wake boarding and Wicked!!

I will call this weekend the weekend of firsts. Yesterday I had the chance to go with my ward to our ward party up at a lake. I had been so happy to enjoy sunshine after being in an office everyday whenever the sun is out. I got a little sunburned, but I didn't care! At the party there was kayaking, food, and boating!! But guess what? I spent most of the time on a boat and didn't mind at all.

Here is a cheesy picture for you. The water looks gross in this pic but it wasn't.


People usually give negative remarks about Utah Lake, whether it's too gross, too many mosquitos, or to dangerous. Honestly, I didn't see it fitting any of those descriptions. You can see far and wide out on the lake and it was pretty.

Our boat had no adults on it, with two guys our age driving it. It was awesome. After being out on the lake for a while, they decided to whip out the wake board. I kept saying before how I was going to try wake boarding for the first time, so I went out after everyone said, "You go!" Guess what? I did! I was a little nervous at first and not sure what to expect. I strapped on the (huge) boots connected to the board and jumped in the water. A guy on our boat named Brighton (cool name),  who has wake boarded a lot and is pretty much a pro, jumped in as well to help teach me step by step the proper positioning, how to stand up once the boat had started, and much more. The first time the boat started, it jerked to a start when I was not expecting it, and since I am only a size 6 shoe and I was wearing a large size board, the board flew off my feet! It took several more tries, with each being better as I was being instructed on how to lean back more, how to keep my arms straight and knees bent, and how to let the boat pull me up. After several tries my feet kept flying out of the board haha! I must have smaller feet than I imagined. As soon as I was able to stand up, the pull was so strong but as I kept my grip, I could feel the adrenaline set in that I was not expecting. It felt incredible!! I started going for a few seconds, then tried to turn my hips to the boat when I came crashing down again. I wanted to keep trying but there were other people that needed turns. I cannot wait to go wake boarding again!! Haha I just need to make sure I wear a small size next time!

Here are some pics from yesterday!

Lauran and Lynsie. It turns out that Lynsie is from my hometown and we have a few mutual friends which is pretty cool

Lynsie and her really sweet friend, Larissa, who came with us


About to go wake boarding for the first time!



Yeah, I was excited :)




First time wake boarders!

Lynsie about to go for the first time





Then Austin decided to go. He said he didn't know much, but then he started doing some high jumps and flips like it was no biggie.



And Parker did some of the same moves as well.

Kelsey has no need to whip her hair back and forth. The wind does the trick.


Such a great day!

After we came out of the boat, we ran across to the area where the rest of the ward was to enjoy some yummy tostadas. We were able to talk about things, including our desire to skydive. I sure want to go, but will most likely not be able to afford it in just 2 weeks.

But the day wasn't even over!

As soon as the party was over, I hurried home to shower, get ready, and do treatment before heading to the bus stop to go to Sandy to meet up with my fam because we were going to see Wicked! My mom couldn't believe it when I told her I have been waiting about 5 or 6 years to see it! Although I've had most of the music memorized, I had no idea how the show would be even more incredible with more surprises than I had ever expected!! I laughed, teared up, and was amazed with the extraordinary talent from everyone from the dancers to the main roles. I felt even better after watching it!!

Let me tell you, yesterday was one of the best days ever!!


No comments:

Post a Comment