Pages

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...

It's about getting out there and running in the rain!

Freezing rain, that's what.
Rain that doesn't stop pouring
Or curling your hair into a fro
Well ma'ams and sirs, it happened...
I ran my first freakin' half marathon.

Oh baby it was an adventure
I loved it!
But let me tell you, it was eaarrrrly
Getting up at 4:45 isn't my kinda thing
My dad picked me up and we sped to the tracks station.
Everyone and their dog (literally, let me tell you in a sec) was on there.
But what's better than meeting new people? 
Once we almost reached our starting point, we stopped
And the girl next to me gasped
There was a huge line of K9 dogs to greet us
The people were were standing filed out and the dog came in with the police officer
We were all silent because we knew, but we were grateful for the extra security.
The dog was actually really cute. She couldn't leave one lady's bag alone, but the lady started to nervously laugh as she said it was only a banana that the lab was wanting.
The officer was nice too as he let out a small laugh and said she loved bananas...

The officer and his lab left and everyone else came back on as we went to the starting point.
We got off the train, and were a little disappointed to find out it was raining.
The helicopters hovered above as well, and it took us a moment to realize it wasn't just the news crew.
We loaded our bags off to be sent to the finish line, used quick restroom breaks, drank some water.
And before I knew it, Sweet Caroline started to play near the starting point before the moment of silence.
The countdown began, and my new friend Leah from the train and I took off.



It didn't stop raining.
Mile 1, then 2, then stretched, and then the miles continued with water and Powerade at every stop.
Long story short, the miles continued, it didn't stop raining, but it felt surprisingly wonderful!
There was support everywhere we went! 
Kids gave us low-5s as we passed.
Cheers and cowbells came from the watchers as we cheered back.
And these posters cracked me up.


Not to mention many showed their love for those in Boston


We all felt cray. We felt wonderful. It was an experience we will never forget. Everyone went at their own pace. Some walked after some time, but I was one of them who couldn't stop. It was a mental fight for all as hips, knees, and calves wanted to give in after some time. I lost track of people and caught up with them later on. It felt great supporting each other. Also, there's something about rain that gives an extra boost to a natural high, and nothing could beat the feeling of crossing the finish line!

Afterward, there was a large feast of food everywhere for everyone to enjoy. Trader Joe's food, Jimmy John's,  fruit, veggies, chips, cookies, yogurt, meat, cheese...you name it. It was my kind of paradise. I never realized how cold it was until after the run as my knees were screaming, but we were all in the same boat and we still felt good for getting past the finish line.

Who doesn't want to be like Kandi when they grow up? She raised money for cancer and ran for Tyler. This was her third half marathon for this year!



And yes, it was freezing! My lips were blue and I could not stop shivering! Hugs were welcome. Almost nothing could feel as glorious as the hot shower when I came home.







 Well folks, there's a summary of yesterday. I can't wait for my next half, whenever that will be :)


No comments:

Post a Comment