After my clinic visit yesterday, seeing my PFTs slightly dropped, I knew I needed a new treatment plan, especially keeping up with cardio exercise. I read about a similar treatment plan from another CF patient, so I decided I am going to try this out:
Wake up (still figuring out best time) sometime around 6:45
Put in contacts/slightly get ready and put on running outfit
Eat a small amount of food for energy
Take albuterol
Run for 30 minutes, stretch, then a little bit of core strengthening
Finish treatment with Hypertonic Saline, Pulmozyme, (and Tobi when needed.)
Not forgetting the "huffs" in between each medication :)
I tried this plan this morning. As expected, the Albuterol seemed to open up my airways for an easier run (p.s., did you know that sometimes people give race horses Albuterol to open their lungs before they race?), the run opened up my airways even more, then the Hypertonic Saline and Pulmozyme moved the gunk around a lot more to be easier to cough up. Let me tell you, this feels amazing!! I believe it's the best natural high in the morning! I believe it will do much more than just sitting, taking med after med. To be honest, I don't think I'll always have time to complete this full treatment plan with the run in-between, but I'm going to try to do this at least several mornings a week. I now have to face the fact that another part of becoming an adult is that exercise is not just a "good option," but a necessity.
yea!
ReplyDelete